With 47 ports of call and around 500 sailings every day, BC Ferries is the largest independently-owned ferry company in the world. Dedicated to safety, excellence, innovation, and people, we are committed to continuously improving the west coast travel experience of our customers.
SHIPBOARD MANAGEMENT POSITION
Chief Steward (Intermediate)
Salt Spring Island
As the Chief Steward, you are responsible for all passenger services onboard our vessels; this includes passenger and employee safety, emergency response as well as catering and retail operations. You will manage a team of diverse, cross functional operations personnel.
You will be committed to the Company’s vision and values including safety, exceeding customer expectations and performance efficiency. Your experience would include proficiency with relevant processes and procedures and a demonstrated knowledge in safe work practices and the leadership & development of employees. You will also be familiar with budget processes.
- Ensure passenger and employee safety is at the forefront of our business by leading including leading a safety focused team with process review, awareness and implementation on new initiatives and directives,
- Model exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers by using timely and appropriate problem solving techniques to address a variety of possible; and at times unexpected; issues,
- Strong capacity to act independently within a dynamic operation,
- Deploy your crew appropriately to meet operational, regulatory and business requirements for the various areas including: catering, retail, baggage handlers and janitorial,
- Identify and implement strategies to improve quality of service, productivity and profitability,
- Manage labour and expenses within the approved budget under the direction of the Senior Chief Steward,
- Lead and manage a diverse team in all aspects of the business, with particular focus on creating developmental plans, mentoring staff and guiding the performance management process as required,
- Strengthen the department by empowering all members to contribute ideas of innovation and continuous improvement across environmental, employee engagement and financial areas,
- Work in a team environment by respectfully engaging with various departments; encouraging collaboration as required,
- Attend departmental and operational meetings as requires.
Leadership / Communication:
- Conduct Performance Reviews and provide ongoing coaching and mentoring in a constructive manner that encourages employee development,
- Strong capacity to work collaboratively with cross functional departmental partner,
- Ensure a respectful and inclusive workforce,
- Self-motivated and demonstrated success leading a team in a unionized environment,
- Willing to communicate and contribute new processes and ideas and foster change,
- Must maintain a high level of professionalism at all times; lead by example and promote a customer centric culture.
- A minimum 2 years of experience in a leadership role overseeing employee development of a diverse team is preferred,
- University/College degree in business, human resources or hospitality is an asset,
- Past demonstrated success in the food and beverage, hospitality or another customer service centric industry would be strongly preferred,
- Must be able to read, write & speak English fluently,
- Must be knowledgeable in labour cost control,
- Computer literate across various platforms including Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Known for working cohesively as part of a team; coupled with ability to coach, train, counsel and encourage employees,
- Highly responsible & reliable with a demonstrated capacity to work under extreme pressure in a fast paced environment,
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times,
- Proficient in budgeting and forecasting,
- Keen acumen in business writing and presentation skills, as well as strong project management skills,
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem solving abilities,
- Flexible to work variable shifts; evenings, weekends and holidays.
Please apply by September 21, 2018.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.